At this point you will be discharged home or admitted to the hospital for further treatment.
If you are Discharged:
- The physician will explain the results of tests and the diagnosis and treatment.
- The physician will leave to prepare your discharge order and instructions. Because these are customized for every patient, it can take up to 20 minutes to prepare.
- The order will include a description of at-home care, and prescriptions if needed.
- When ready, the nurse will review the instructions with you, answer any questions and obtain your signature.
- If you need clarification on your medical treatment and follow-up instructions, please don't hesitate to ask.
If you are Admitted:
You will be taken to a room once your physician is contacted, a chart is prepared (usually by your Primary Care Physician or a Specialist if needed) and a bed on the appropriate medical floor is available and prepared for you.
At times when the hospital is particularly busy, the appropriate room may not be immediately available. Under such circumstances, we will do our best to make you as comfortable as possible in the Emergency Department and keep you updated on your room status.