Pneumonia is an infection or inflammation of the lungs that can produce a wide variety of symptoms. Pneumonia varies widely in severity, but can be particularly life-threatening in the elderly, people with pre-existing heart or lung conditions, people with suppressed or weakened immunity, or in pregnant women. If you believe you have pneumonia or are experiencing any of the following symptoms, please contact your doctor or the AMMC Emergency Services Department immediately.
- Persistent cough, especially one producing rust or green colored mucus
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain that changes as you breath
- Difficult or labored breathing
- Fever, especially a prolonged high fever, or accompanied with chills
- Feeling worse after a bout with the cold or flu